The car radiator is the main part of the cooling system, the purpose is to protect the engine from damage caused by overheating. The principle of the radiator is to use cold air to reduce the temperature of the coolant from the engine in the radiator. So, what is the role of the car radiator in the cooling system? What problems often occur? Let's find out together today!
What is the function of a car radiator?
As the heat transfer and heat conduction part inside the car, the car radiator plays an important role in the car. The material of the car radiator is mainly made of aluminum or copper. The radiator core is its main component and contains coolant. Generally speaking, the car radiator is a heat exchanger.
What problems often occur with car radiators?
Common problems with car radiators include: water pump failure, cooling fan not working, radiator blockage, thermostat failure, etc. 1.
1. The water pump fails.
(1) Unstable idle speed: The failure of the water pump can cause the rotation resistance of the water pump to increase. Since the water pump is connected with the timing belt, the increase of the rotation resistance of the water pump can directly affect the rotation of the engine. When idling, it is manifested as a jump in the speed after starting, and it is more obvious in winter, and it may even cause a flameout.
(2) Noise from the engine part: This sound is the friction sound of rotation, similar to the sound of "pupupu". This sound can speed up as the engine rotates, and the volume changes. This noise generally becomes more and more obvious with the aggravation of the fault. Generally experienced car repair masters should be able to hear it. But when it was minor, maybe because the replacement of the water pump was too complicated, they all said it was fine, but a lot of problems were caused.
(3) Cooling system failure: This is a series of phenomena, all related to the water pump, and not necessarily a complicated problem.
2. The cooling fan does not work.
(1) The air conditioner filter element is clogged. The function of the air conditioner filter element is to prevent the dust outside the car from entering the car. After a long time of use, the air conditioner filter element will appear dirt, odor, or even clogged.
(2) The fan relay is faulty. If the water temperature meets the requirements, but the cooling fan still does not turn, it may be that the relay of the cooling fan is faulty. The damage of the relay is generally caused by poor contact of the line.
(3) The temperature control switch is faulty. Nowadays, the cooling fans used in most cars use electronic temperature control to work. Only when the water temperature meets the required temperature, the cooling fan will operate normally. Only when the water temperature reaches a certain requirement, the cooling fan will operate normally.
3. Thermostat failure
(1) Mechanical parts are aging. When the vehicle travels 50,000 to 60,000 kilometers, the thermostat is likely to fail. Because the thermostat is in the cabin, high temperature will affect the aging of the plastic outside the thermostat and damage the thermostat;
(2) Internal paraffin leaks or the seal ring of the thermostat is damaged. There is paraffin in the thermostat. When the sealing ring of the thermostat is damaged, the paraffin will flow out, and then the entire thermostat will stop working.
(3) The push rod is damaged. The opening and closing of the temperature control valve depends on the internal push rod to push the main valve. If the push rod is damaged, the main valve cannot be opened and closed normally. At this time, the thermostat will be in a normally closed state and lose its effect.
The car radiator is an important part of the car engine cooling system. Its main function is to transfer and dissipate the heat generated by the engine through the radiator core and air to maintain the normal operating temperature of the engine. If there is a problem with the radiator of the car, it may cause the failure of the water pump, the failure of the cooling fan, the failure of the thermostat and other problems. Therefore, it is very important to check and maintain the car radiator regularly.
1. What are the most common failures of radiators?
The most common radiator failures are leaks and blockages. Leakage of coolant will lead to insufficient coolant, and the engine is prone to high temperature. Common causes of radiator water leakage are external damage, radiator corrosion, etc.
2. How to check whether the car radiator is working normally?
You can check whether the car radiator is working properly by observing the water temperature gauge, checking the amount of coolant, checking the color of the coolant, and observing whether there is oil on the surface of the radiator.
3. How to maintain the car radiator?
Regularly changing the coolant, cleaning the radiator, and regularly checking the radiator for water leakage are all effective ways to maintain the car radiator.
4. What problems can a clogged radiator cause?
If the car radiator is blocked, it will cause the engine to overheat and even cause engine damage.
5. How to avoid problems with car radiators?
Using the right coolant, regularly checking and maintaining your car radiator, and avoiding prolonged idling are all effective ways to avoid problems with your car radiator.